Chain restaurants pop up everywhere - but why are they the most popular in New York City? Our friends at The Real Deal magazine have provided us with some interesting numbers.
Dunkin' Donuts has the most chain retail locations in all of New York City.
There are only 4 Zip Codes out of all 74 Zip Codes in Manhattan that contain zero chain retail outlets. Last year, the city saw an increase in chain retail stores of 2.5%. That's an incredible 185 new national retail storefronts!
But why New York City? According to a quote provided by The Real Deal, Chase Welles, executive vice president of SGG Retail, said it's more than just the money. Although companies to like to put themselves "where the financial industry that backs them can see their operations," it's "not simply a case of coming to New York to make money." New York City is the fashion capital of the world. If you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere! If you put your chain in New York City, you have access to "the industry's top designers and cutting edge trends." Not to mention an almost guaranteed success due not only to the mass amounts of people in NYC, but also the incredible variety of consumer tastes available in such a small area.
Here are some statistics:
- There are 7,473 National Retail Chains in NYC as of 2014.
- There are 536 Dunkin' Donuts locations - making it the top franchise in all of New York City.
- There are 205 Starbucks locations in Manhattan alone - making it the top franchise in Manhattan.
- There are 318 Duane Reade/Walgreens locations - making it NYC's #1 pharmacy chain.
- There are 180 chain retail stores in 10001 (Penn Station) and 10314 (The Staten Island Mall). These two areas are tied for having the highest concentration of chain stores in the city.
Special thanks to The Real Deal for the amazing facts!
You can read their entire article here.