New Dorp - Staten Island, NY
New Dorp is an area on the eastern shore of Staten Island, bordered by Grant City, Midland Beach, and Oakwood. The name comes from the Dutch phrase meaning “new village.” The land closest to the water is referred to as New Dorp Beach. New Dorp is one of the neighborhoods including a beach on Staten Island, this means a lot of the homes in the area used to be beach homes and have been converted into resident homes. The area includes a variety of homes. The area includes many shopping centers and includes a New York Public Library. The neighborhood is well known for the parks in the area such as Miller Field or Gateway National Park. The area is full of popular restaurants and café style bakeries such as Dominik’s, and many more “Mom and Pop” type shops. New Dorp has a various range of local and express bus routes to choose from and is very close to stations for the Staten Island Railway, making transportation around Staten Island Very easy. Education options for this area are P.S. 38, P.S. 41, I.S. 2, and New Dorp High School.
Restaurants and Entertainment In New Dorp
1. La Strada 139 New Dorp Lane Italian standards and an extensive wine list are served in an elegant setting at this longtime eatery. Read reviews here.
2. Taste Of India II 287 New Dorp Lane Long-standing vibrant outpost offers familiar Indian dishes and a weekend buffet in a snazzy interior. Read reviews here.
Grocery Stores and Supermarkets Near New Dorp
1. Shop Rite 2424 Hylan Boulevard
2. Stop & Shop 2754 Hylan Boulevard
3. Pathmark 2660 Hylan Boulevard
Parks Near New Dorp
1. Great Kills Park Hylan Boulevard Great Kills Park is known for its four beaches, New Dorp Beach, Cedar Grove Beach, Oakwood Beach, and Fox Beach. Family fun for all ages! Other areas surrounding Great Kills Park include Oakwood and Great Kills. For more information about park events, visit www.nycparks.org/parks/great-kills-park or call (718) 987-6729.