Rossville makes up a fairly large area of Staten Island’s southwestern shore, bordered by Arden Heights and Woodrow. The area was originally named Blazing Star after a local tavern, then Smoking Point, and finally settled on its current name after Colonel William E. Ross in 1837. After the completion of the West Shore Expressway in 1976, much of the area’s farmland was sold to developers which fueled rapid growth continuing to this day. Residences include mainly semi-detached homes and private condominium developments. Schools directly located in this area are P.S. 4, P.S. 56, and I.S. 75. Transportation routes through the Rossville are the local S55 and S74 buses, as well as the X17 and X22 express buses.
Restaurants and Entertainment in Rossville
1. Big Nose Kate's Saloon Inc. 2484 Arthur Kill Road Old West style saloon with tap brews, $0.25 wings on Monday and Thursday, and cover-free live music on weekends. Read reviews here.
2. The Old Bermuda Inn 301 Veterans Road W A restaurant and catering hall, great for a simple night out, or party events. Read reviews here.
Grocery Stores and Supermarkets Rossville
1. Montalbano's of Rosebank 1 Gunton Place
2. Mignossi Supermarket 1006 Rossville Avenue
3. Christophers Foodmart 645 Rossville Avenue
4. Lucky Farm 655 Rossville Avenue
5. Pathmark 2730 Arthur Kill Road
Parks Near Rossville]
1. Bloomingdale Park Bloomingdale Road A 138-acre park with a playground and lots of open, traditional park space! Other areas surrounding Bloomingdale Park include Huguenot, Annadale, Arden Heights, Charleston, Pleasant Plains, Prince’s Bay, Rossville, and Woodrow. For more information about park events, visit www.nycparks.org/parks/bloomingdale-park or call (718) 585-7117.
2. Wolfe’s Pond Park 420 Cornelia Avenue This multifunctional park has a beach, dog park, a soccer field, hockey field, tennis courts, basketball courts, playgrounds, and much more! It’s one of the largest parks on Staten Island! Other areas surrounding Wolfe’s Pond Park include Huguenot, Annadale, Arden Heights, Great Kills, Eltingville, Prince’s Bay, Rossville, and Woodrow. For more information about park events, visit www.nycparks.org/parks/wolfes-pond-park or call (718) 984-8266.
3. Lemon Creek Park Prince’s Bay A fun park/beach with freshwater and a breathtaking view. Other areas surrounding Lemon Creek Park include Huguenot, Charleston, Prince’s Bay, Rossville, and Woodrow. For more information about park events, visit www.nycgovparks.com/parks/lemon-creek-park or call (212) 639-9675.